1. I became a father to a baby girl on 23 November 2017 just 2 months after my brother became a father to a baby boy for the first time. Double celebration at home. That just about sums up the whole year.
2. All certifications and education came to a complete halt this whole year. Nothing moved on that front.
3. Just read one book in the whole year. Though read tons of super-texts, research documents, company annual reports and investment documents.
4. Watched more than 100 movies. Across multiple languages. Not to mention a lot many TV series too. Hardly went to the theaters.
5. Traveling was also just about absent. Just one trip to Bangalore to see my nephew.
6. Exercising and going for walks/jogs didn’t happen. Instead i got a fitness band to at least clock 10000 steps per day. Except a few times, even that was a downer. But i consistently managed to clock more than 8000 steps on most days. Best thing was that my weight stayed constant throughout the year. The only positive.
7. For the 6th year running, the annualized returns of my equity portfolio beat the annualized returns of the BSE Sensex. I had my first ever 10 bagger in the form of Dabur. Its the oldest surviving stock in my portfolio. Took more than 10 years to hit the 10 bagger target. The other best performers have been Bharat Forge, Mayur Uniquoters, Skipper, Titan, Wipro, M&M, Deepak Nitrite and L&T.
8. For the first time ever kept a small budget to dabble in stocks that were running up frequently. Or as they are more commonly known as “momentum stocks”. Didn’t have any great returns, so i will reconsider this effort going forward.
9. Instead of waiting for that elusive stock market crash to happen, i stuck to my SIPs religiously. Moved to direct investing in Mutual Funds without going through ICICIDirect through whom i used to invest earlier.
Wishing and hoping that the new year brings in much happiness and success to everyone